“Swimming Pool? What swimming pool?” Tax dodgers and Grecian debt crisis…
Just 324 residents of Athens’s wealthy northern suburbs reported in their recent tax returns that they owned swimming pools. That’s less than 2% of the 16,974 pools found when tax investigators examined satellite photos, according to a New York Times report on the pervasiveness of tax dodging in Greece and its impact on the country’s debt crisis.
Source: HBR Daily Stat www.twitter.com/thedailystat &
In the worst case scenario, if 39 million gallons has spilled, the oil would fill enough jugs to stretch from the Louisiana marshes to Prince William Sound in Alaska. That’s where the Exxon Valdez ran aground in 1989, spilling nearly 11 million gallons.
14% = percent of homes with a bathtub in 1909…
- 47 years = average life expectancy
- 14% homes had a bathtub
8% homes with telephones
- 95% = number of home births
- Number of cars in US = 8000
- Miles of paved road = 144 miles
- Maximum city speed limit = 10 mph (on avg)
- 22 cents/hr = average wage (Average Worker made $200 and $400 per year)
- Dozen Eggs = 14 cents.
- Sugar = 4 cents per lb.
- Coffee = 15 cents per lb.
- Leading causes of death were: 1. Pneumonia and influenza 2. Tuberculosis 3. Diarrhea 4. Heart disease 5. Stroke
- Population of Las Vegas, Nevada = 30
- 2/10 adults couldn’t read or write and
- 6% graduated from high school..
- Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores.
- 230 murders were reported (entire US).
Source: Un-verified email.
2 billion = number of videos streaming per day on YouTube (via techcrunch)
2 Billion views a day
3rd most visited website (Alexa)
Localized in 23 countries across 24 different languages
15 The average number of minutes people spend on the site each day
24 Hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute
45 Million home page impressions every day
70% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the U.S.
100 Years of video scanned by copyright managent technology, Content ID, every day
1700 Years it would take you to watch the hundreds of millions of videos on YouTube
6,300,000 = gallons guestimated to have leaked into the gulf (equivalent of 50,000 barrels of oil)
It’s been exactly 30 days since the earth starting throwing up on itself. 210,000 gal per day x 30 days = 6,300,000 gallons of oil guestimated to have entired the gulf of Mexico; equivalent of 150,000 barrels of oil.
“How much water is in a latte?” - MIT Sloan Management Review
“Here’s the breakdown, by liters, of the water needed to make that latte:
0.1 for the water itself
2.5 to make the plastic lid
5.5 to make the paper cup and sleeve
7.5 to grow the sugar
49.5 to feed the cows that make the milk
143 to grow the coffee”